Title: Glow

Archiving: just ask.

Rating: PG

Date: May 2003.

Summary: Another gratuitous spooning ficlet for Thess. Draco reflects.

Notes:

Switchknife�s adamancy that we�re all wrong, that it�s Draco who should be on the outside, got me to thinking, which led me to write this fic instead of the one I was trying to write for EQ and Verdant as a belated birthday present.

This little thing was written with a beautiful Tea Party song called "Watching What the Rain Blows In" on loop. This is my "when you can't take anything else and just need to stare and sit and be at peace" song. It also is drowning in moonlight for me. If anybody wants to download it, make sure you download the live version from Australia, if you can find it.

Thess, this is for you.



The first time it happened, Draco didn�t quite understand what had come over him. He just knew that suddenly the impulse to hold�to savor�was different. New and real and inescapable.

He shifted under the covers. Harry moved slightly, and let out a long low breath that stirred the hair on Draco�s forehead, even though most of it was still matted down with sweat. It was a very cool moment�the bed was soft and the sheets light and smooth against his thigh, and Harry�s arm lay stretched out, flung over his hip, casually in his sleep, and yet not, as if it had been placed just there, calculated to latch on to him, fingers digging into his side in case of any emergency�in case Draco ever had thoughts of sneaking away in the dark.

As Draco lay there in the dark, fingers of moon light creeping in from the outside to caress Harry�s cheek and thread light through his hair, sneaking away was the last thing on his mind. He had a sudden urge to wrap his arms around Harry, to tug him out of the path of the light so that its touch could not be more intimate than his own�so that it could not capture Harry in its soft beams. That was not its right. It was his.

So he shifted just a bit closer, and Harry, perhaps sensing something impending and beautiful, sighed again and rolled over on his opposite side. The moon shone full and bright on him then, casting dim aspersions on Draco as he reached his own arm out, intending to pull Harry out of the light.

But as his arms fastened around Harry, a strange thing happened to him. Instead of tugging him gently backwards, Draco felt himself launching forward to cradle his head in the crook of Harry�s shoulder, to tuck his knees behind Harry�s own and move his hands up swiftly to pull Harry in against him. And from that place he found himself unable to move�from his place with his head on Harry�s pillow and Harry�s hands wrapping naturally around his own. He found himself staying put. Instead of removing Harry from the possession of the moonlight, instead of cuddling him back into the safety of the night, Draco found that he had put himself directly in its path�that now the light was flooding them both.

He found that when he closed his eyes he could still see Harry�s pale skin draped in moonbeams.



__________________________________
~ main ~ about ~ rants ~ nqr ~ livejournal ~ the armchair ~
Fiction: harry potter ~ hikaru no go ~ prince of tennis ~ other fandoms ~ originals ~